banniere

Le portail francophone de la géomatique

Toujours pas inscrit ? Mot de passe oublié ?
Nom d'utilisateur    Mot de passe              Toujours pas inscrit ?   Mot de passe oublié ?

Annonce

State Of The Map 2024

#1 Fri 23 June 2006 15:59

Robin
GeoRezo forever
Lieu: France
Site web

Frustration face à Google Earth

Hello

En ces temps de mise à disposition de données sur internet voilà un échange intéressant vu sur la liste Mapinfo-L, j'ai tenté une traduction approximative et je vous laisse lire le message qui parle de lui même. Pour ceux que ca intéresse je poste la suite des echanges (mais va falloir bosser son anglais je me sens pas de me taper la traduction de l'intégralité) :

"Salut la liste,

Je ne sais pas si c'est arrivé au niveau mondial ou juste ici à Mexico mais, comme certains ont peut être remarqué, Google Earth a ajouté des images de très haute résolution sur de nouvelles zones; la raison de ce message est en fait dû à un sentiment de frustration que je vais expliquer. J'étais en train de préparer un document où je tentais de vendre une image très haute résolution à une commune ici à Mexico et j'ai trouvé que GE avait ajouté les images QuickBird sur cette zone. Je sais que dans GE (version gratuite) on ne peut PAS faire d'analyses de ces images et je sais que si la commune me les achetait, il en retirerait de nombreux bénéfices, mais essayez d'expliquer ça à un maire qui a un logiciel gratuit qui lui "donne" les images que je tente de lui vendre...

En espérant avoir été clair.

M. Frustré à Mexico"

###########

MESSAGE 1

De : mapinfo-l-bounces@texte-a-enlever.lists.directionsmag.com [mapinfo-l-bounces@texte-a-enlever.lists.directionsmag.com] De la part de Juan José Del Toro Madrueño
Envoyé : vendredi 23 juin 2006 02:00
À : mapinfo-l@texte-a-enlever.lists.directionsmag.com
Cc : bantz.molly@texte-a-enlever.geoeye.com
Objet : [MI-L] [Spam] Google Earth Frustration

Hello List;

I don’t know if this happened worldwide or just here in Mexico but, as some of you may already have noticed, Google Earth has just added high resolution imagery to new areas; the reason of this post is actually is a frustration feeling and I’ll explain this; as I was preparing a document where I was trying to sell high resolution Imagery to a Municipality here in Mexico I found out that Google Earth now has it in Quickbird Imagery; I know that in GE (free version) you can’t do ANY analysis to these images and that if they bought from me the actual imagery they would have tons of benefits; but try explaining that to a Municipal president who has a “Free” software  that is “giving” him the same images I was trying to sell the for “Free”; almost impossible.

Hope this made sense.

Cheers

Mr. Frustrated in Mexico

Juan José Del Toro Madrueño
jdeltoro1973@texte-a-enlever.yahoo.com
Guadalajara, Jalisco MÉXICO

###########

MESSAGE 2

De : mapinfo-l-bounces@texte-a-enlever.lists.directionsmag.com [mapinfo-l-bounces@texte-a-enlever.lists.directionsmag.com] De la part de Bill Thoen
Envoyé : vendredi 23 juin 2006 03:55
À : Juan José Del Toro Madrueño
Cc : bantz.molly@texte-a-enlever.geoeye.com; mapinfo-l@texte-a-enlever.lists.directionsmag.com
Objet : Re: [MI-L] Google Earth Frustration

I reckon you're going to have to re-evaluate what you sell. If your potential client only wants the "eye candy" of a whizzy image, then Google has just eaten your lunch. (and proabably a few dinners too.) You can't beat "free."
Now you're going to find out what "tons of benefits" is worth as you try to market the value of image analysis. Raw GIS data are a commodity, and the price has been dropping ever since the late Scott Elliot of Wessex cut the price of Census-derived data, royally pissing off both MapInfo and ESRI. No longer able to squeeze their golden goose selling easy-to-acquire data to an ignorant public, this eventually forced these GIS companies to develop MUCH better data sources and data analysis tools leaving the low hanging fruit to the hobbyist mappers and GIS start-ups.
Forget data. The bigjobs have got that market pretty much rolled up. Concentrate instead on what you can do to turn data into information. That's where the golden goose is now. And unfortunately, some poeple who would have paid for it once, only want to look at the pictures, and now Google has got 'em.

- Bill Thoen

###########

MESSAGE 3

Bill -

I am surprised in your depreciation of "eye" candy.  What is going on via Google Earth, IMHO, is simply things are changing and changing very fast for desktop GIS. While GE is certainly the most articulate on a B/C level at the current moment of "eye candy", you can not ignore the participation of National Geographic, Sketch-up, and the spatialization of the WEB via geoRSS and other like geoTAGS. These things are increasingly accessible and most importantly in near real-time everywhere! Its weird but for some reason I remain open that the emerging .NET-ization of MapInfo Pro may actually find a way to leverage it's cartography and spatial abstraction analysis in a hoped for easy to use way - like posted to overlay GE?  Therefore my banging on the GE2MIP threads.

Aw heck, if wishes were fishes....

Neil
Aka MidNight Mapper

###########

MESSAGE 4

De : mapinfo-l-bounces@texte-a-enlever.lists.directionsmag.com [mapinfo-l-bounces@texte-a-enlever.lists.directionsmag.com] De la part de Neil Havermale
Envoyé : vendredi 23 juin 2006 04:49
À : Neil Havermale; Bill Thoen; Juan José Del Toro Madrueño
Cc : bantz.molly@texte-a-enlever.geoeye.com; mapinfo-l@texte-a-enlever.lists.directionsmag.com
Objet : RE: [MI-L] Google Earth Frustration

Gosh in the ten minutes since this started guess what popped up?

Analysis in GE? http://paginas.terra.com.br/informatica … EBarsGraph

Changes they are a comin...

Dernière modification par Robin (Fri 23 June 2006 16:15)

#2 Fri 23 June 2006 17:26

Jean-Michel
Membre
Lieu: An Oriant /Lorient

Re: Frustration face à Google Earth

Bonjour,
Dans le même esprit, vous pouvez comparer 3 ortho photos du même lieu à ces adresses:
1- Rechercher dans http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi? Lanester, 56 (ortho-photo IGN 1999)
2- Cap l'Orient (ortho-photo ISTAR juin 2005): http://www.caplorient.com/Votre_quartie … 711.0.html
(sélectionnez la commune de Lanester pour plus de précision et zoomer sur la tache "floutée".
3- GM (satellite janvier 2006): http://maps.google.fr/maps?f=q&hl=f … 02,0.01708

(Cap l'Orient avait fait l'acquisition de l'ortho IGN 99 , puis refait une campagne en Juin 2005 (ISTAR), et google est passé par là 6 mois après...)
Jean-Michel LE BARH
AudéLor
56100 LORIENT
E-mail: jm.lebarh@texte-a-enlever.audelor.com
www.audelor.com

Jean-Michel
GeoRezo, c'est des blogs, un wiki, un Netvibes ...
GeoRezo vous aide ==> Aidez GeoRezo !

Pied de page des forums